This “Plan of Action” is directed towards Mecklenburg Co. dealers, but I think it is a good list of recommendations for any dealerships who choose to remain open.
Amendments to Stay at Home Order Regarding Car Sales
The following are amendments to the proposed Detailed Plan of Action, originally included in the March 31, 2020, correspondence from the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association and the Greater Charlotte Auto Dealers Association.
Detailed Plan of Action
1) Adherence to the following requirements specified in Executive Order 121 for those businesses classified and Essential Businesses and Operations:
- Requires COVID-19 Essential Businesses and Operations, to the maximum extent possible, to direct employees to work from home or telework.
- Requires COVID-19 Essential Businesses and Operations, to the extent practicable, to maintain the following Social Distancing Requirements:
a. Maintaining at least six (6) feet distancing from other individuals;
b. Washing hands using soap and water for at least twenty (20) seconds as frequently as possible and numerous times throughout the day or the use of hand sanitizer;
c. Regularly cleaning high-touch surfaces; [Dealership will assign at least one employee whose responsibility is solely to regularly clean high-touch services throughout the dealership.]
d. Facilitating online or remote access by customers if possible. [Completion of as much of the selling process online and through the mail as legally permissible.]
In addition to the Governor’s Executive Order 121, the following other practices will be implemented:
2) Motor vehicle sales conducted by appointment.
3) Posting online whether a facility is open and how best to reach the facility and continue services by phone or remotely.
4) Designate six-foot distances with signage, tape, or by other means, six-foot spacing for employees and customers to maintain appropriate distance and maintaining at least six-foot social distancing from other individuals.
5) No more than 10 people, including customers and employees, in the showroom at any one time.
6) All customer lounges closed.
7) Tables available outside the showroom for customers who wish to conduct transaction outside of showroom.
8) Hand sanitizer and sanitizing products readily available for employees and customers.
9) No test drives permitted unless expressly requested by the purchaser and only conducted in adherence to the following requirements:
10) To the extent legally possible, conduct off-site / home delivery of vehicles.
11) Adhere to CDC recommendations for maintaining a safe workplace, including the measures referenced above as well as:
- Identify customers and employees who have viral symptoms and prohibit them from entering the dealership.
- Require what the CDC calls “respiratory etiquette,” including covering coughs and sneezes
- Provide customers and employees with tissues and trash receptacles.
- Prohibit employees from using other employees’ phones, desks, offices, work tools and equipment.
- Prohibit hand shaking and other physical contact between individuals.
- Post handwashing signs around the dealership.
Carolina Dealer Training
This email message and any attachments contain information which may be privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.